Thursday, October 18, 2012

CASE STUDY - Halloween Wishes


This is week 3 for me playing Guest Designer for the month of October over at Case Study Blog Challenge. Pinch me I'm still dreaming!  This is one of my favorite places to play and I am so excited to be featured along side some of my favorite designers!  The muse this month is Julia Stainton of Belle Papier!  Check out this design she has to inspire us this week.

I was immediately struck by the stamped background - something I tend to avoid more often than not!  At the risk of droning on again.. this is what I love about CASE.  I'm out of my comfort zone but I'm good with that!  It took me a little more time, but I gotta say.. I am happy with my end result.  My only regret is that I covered up so much of that pretty pattern that it took me so long to stamp!   I liked how Julia took the orange from the umbrella and incorporated it into the stamped background so I threw in a few orange witch silhouettes to match my sentiment tag.

Here's what I learned this week.... heat setting your ink is not for sissies!!  I am always looking for a short cut and didn't understand the importance of using a heat gun until this project.  I wanted to get my ink seriously dark black so I used Versafine ink - I can't tell you how many times I started over because of smeared ink!  I  learned my lesson and I proved my point...next time this WILL BE EASIER!   The little mask is a Spellbinder die from a new release.  Here's the finished card...
Thanks for having a look!   I hope you find some time to play.  You might win a chance to be the next guest designer for CASE Study.  Just link up your creation and put a "GD" behind your name!

Jeanne

Supplies Used:  Finished Size 5" x 7"
Stamps:  Waltzingmouse Hocus Pocus, Cameo Creations, Holiday Labels No. 14
Card Stock:  Papertrey Ink:  True Black, Kraft
Patterned Paper:  Basic Grey Basics Collection  "Jargon/ bas 2600", "Docket / bas 2552"
Dies:  Cheery Lynn French Pastry, Spellbinder Venetian Accents, Labels 14
Ink:  Versa Fine Onyx Black, Stampin Up Tangerine Tango, Ranger Distress Antique Linen
Gems:  Paper Studio

14 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

This is so stunning Jeanne! That mask is incredible, you always use the greatest Spellbinder's dies. Love those stamps too.

NanaConnie said...

Incredible mask, Jeanne! Great paper choice for the background.

Joyce said...

This is amazing. I love your stamped background--how instead of being random, it's got a definite pattern. And, that mask is so glam!

Unknown said...

Wow Jeanne, your painstaking efforts did not go in vain. I love how this card turned out and the fab use of the WMS. The mask die is a terrific touch and your stamped background rocks.
Have a spooktacular Halloween!
Hugs,
Lisa

Kim Heggins said...

Wow...your background is just amazing! Love that witch cameo and what you did with her and that mask, is to die for! Such a wonderful card!

Marybeth said...

Thanks for the great tip! Beautiful stamped background creative idea, Jeanne! Love that black mask die! Great inspirational card for us to look at , if we are brave enough to give it a try.

Cathy Weber said...

You know I love to make my own patterned paper and I can only imagine how long this took you! It was SO worth it though...love that witch cameo and that new mask die is just beautiful with that little gem. It adds such a little "zing" to your card.

Lisa Minckler said...

What the witchy coolness!! Now I just want to go jump on the couch with my blanket and watch Wizard of Oz, this card is AWESOMICAL!!!
That mask, how fun is that. What a versatile die cut and can see it being on so many different styles of cards. :)

Kelly S. said...

I love that background! What a cool idea to use a frame image for it! The mask is the coolest embellie EVER!

Sharron said...

Awesome background design, Jeanne! Love the idea of witch cameos. And the mask die cut is positively stunning--what a beautiful and unusual die!

Helen Berry said...

Your stamped background is absolute perfection - great idea to heat set your ink too - I should probably be doing this!! Love your take on Julia's card - fabulous stamping and I adore the black Venetian accent - divine!!

Helen Berry said...

I also meant to say that I'm loving your CASE study GD posts too - very well deserved spot and they are lucky to have you - you inspire so many of us Jeanne x x x

JJ Bolton said...

Oh my! What did I say? Hands down, your Halloween cards are far and away the best I've ever seen! That mask die is awesome! Love the way you turned the label on it's side:) Beautiful!

Karol L said...

Love this card and your background is stunning. The mask oh my it is just fabulous, cannot wait till it hits the market. Love all your ideas.