Monday, October 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Larry!

One of my husband's guy friends had a birthday party this weekend!   His wife thought she would surprise him because gasp!  He is an old guy now!  He just turned 40!!!  He is a new daddy and has been married for only a few years.  He still gets to play cards with the guys though!  His wife played up his love of the game with invitations that featured cards, poker chips and such.  I knew it would be a safe bet to follow suit  (Punny huh?) !!  His cake had edible poker chips and she even baked cookies cut in the shapes of diamonds, hearts, clubs, and spades!   Here's what I came up with for the birthday boy!
I saw this ribbon from Ribbon Trends at Hobby Lobby and some cute matching buttons from Dress it Up to match.  The actual button was of the club (puppy feet, popcorn, clover).  I cut off the back and hot glued it to a bigger red button.
I hope you are off to a great week - this one was lots of fun to make and an easy way to show I appreciate his friendship!

Jeanne

Supplies Used:  Finished Size:  5" x 7"
Stamps:  Waltzingmouse Vintage Labels 5, Back in the Saddle
Pattern Paper:  Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe Collection "Playhouse", Restoration Collection "Lace"
Card stock:  Papertrey Ink  Pure Poppy, True Black, Kraft
Dies:  Spellbinder Fancy Tags 3, Classic Ovals, Labels 5, Cheery Lynn Flower Burst Doily
Las Vegas Puffies KI Memories
Faux Brads
Buttons:   Dress it Up & Papertrey
Ribbon  5/8" Red Twill May Arts, Ribbon Trends Poker Icons Satin
Ink:  Stampin' Up! Real Red, VersaFine Onyx Black

13 comments:

Kara said...

such a fun birthday card!!

The Paper Parade said...

What a perfect card to go along with the theme of the party! I love that playing card background and the black doily :) That poker chip is awesome, too!

Joyce said...

This is such a wonderful card. How fun that you were able to find ribbon that matched the theme so perfectly. Hey--40 sounds young to me!

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh this is seriously fun Jeanne! I love all the card elements especially that ribbon, just perfect.

Suzanne said...

Oh Jeanne, this is perfect. A long time ago there was a playing card challenge on the Moxie Fab world blog and that card I made was a royal flush of a disaster! Probably my least fave card ever. This is a GAJILLION times better!!!!!!!! and I can't help but think you SO would have won that week. :)

Caroline said...

Fabulous birthday card love the design and the colours used are gorgeous. Caroline xxx

JJ Bolton said...

This is so much fun!!! I'm sure your friends (hubby and wife) will love it:) The die cut you put behind the label is out of this world fantastic!

This is going to sound funny, but I think I can see you taking the pic in the reflection of the silver brads, lol! I think I need some coffee this morning;) Hugs!

Cathy Weber said...

What a fun way to turn 40...much better than the Over the Hill things like I got! I love that ribbon and the cute poker chip you added to it...the layering of the sentiment die cuts really makes this card even more textured and fun. Your friends will love it!

Marybeth said...

Love this! Your husbands friend will love this one too! The ribbon and paper are perfect finds for this card. So old 40uggg! The die in the back is a great match for this poker card.
I was in an all girl poker club for many years , it was a way for us young mothers to get out of the house each weak and I loved it! We each took turns hosting it at our home.

Ros Crawford said...

What a super guy card!! Beautifully done ... the ribbon is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

A perfect card fo the "old guy" lol!!

Pauline said...

A wonderful card for a poker player, I love all the little elements you used, a fantastic card!

Lisa Minckler said...

Bwhahahahahaha..you made a punny! LOL...
Yes, following suit was perfect and wow did you ever. Wonderful ribbon and the button. Sounds like a blast and I'm certain he loved the card from you. :)
Is that your reflection in those little brads? LOL..I know, me and my weird observation. Hahaha