Friday, October 19, 2012

Shabby Tea Room - Rustic Elegance

Happy Friday!  We made it through the week!  It has been cold and rainy here lately!  I am fighting the urge to turn on the furnace because I hate closing up the house.  Spring and Fall are always transition periods in the Midwest between either extremely hot or seriously cold weather.  It is hard to explain if you don't live here, but the every day sort of things change from one time of year to another.  In the summer you don't want to fight the air conditioning so you cook outdoors.  This time of year when things get cold you switch to baking mode.  A baked meal is so comforting, and is so inviting when you get home.  Another big plus is that the heat from the oven also heats the house.  I like to bake because I do all the prep in the morning and then have the rest of the day open.  Easy peasy to put something in the oven and then wait for it to turn hot and bubbly!
Today was one of those days - I have a casserole made - one for my family and one to take over to my mom's.  I had a little time left over to play so I made this card for The Shabby Tea Room Challenge.  I love this wood and flower print paper from Crate paper and finally got to put it to use.  The challenge this week is "Rustic Elegance" and I think this one fits the bill.  Have a look at this beautiful inspiration photo - an elegant feast set out on a wood plank table.  Such contrast.  I tried to capture that here with the wood print paper, crochet lace, pearl center flowers and rough button thread.  I added a beautiful gem encrusted hat pin to mimic the silver candle holders in the photo.

I hope you have a great day - maybe time to create a little something of your own!  I'd love to see what you come up with for this challenge.  You can get all the details here.

Hugs!
Jeanne

Supplies Used:  Finished Size 6" x 6"
Stamp:  Paper Sweeties PS-16 So Sweet of You
Patterned Paper:  Crate Paper Portrait Collection "Bridesmaids", Emma's Shoppe Collection "Playhouse", leaves cut from Echo Park For the Record Collection "Newsprint"
Card stock:  Papertrey Ink:  Vintage Cream
Flowers:  Recollections (Michael's)
Dies:  Spellbinders Foliage, Back to Basics Tags
Ink:  Versafine Vintage Sepia, Ranger Distress Antique Linen
Lace:  Simplicity
Button Thread May Arts Cream
Pin:  David Tutera Collection (Joann Fabrics)
Pearl Ring:  His & Hers (Hobby Lobby)

15 comments:

Marybeth said...

I saw this photo on another blog and fell in love with it. Love the rustic yet feminine look with the soft pretty flowers, love those little flowers.. rosettes with the pearls in the center, gorgeous!
We've been so warm, not too bad today It was a beautiful night so I talked husband into recording the Fball game and he went on the bike ride with me. So kind of you to make dinner for your mom, you are a good daughter.

Pauline said...

Simply gorgeous Jeanne! I love the silver havin, and those beautiful blooms!

Pauline said...

*hatpin* not *havin* lol!

Anne-Elise said...

Gorgeous card, Jeanne! Love the soft colors and the amazing flowers! Great work!!

The Paper Parade said...

Rustic shabby chic is beautiful in one of your cards! I love the woodgrain, and the text flowers!

Cathy Weber said...

Marybeth said it right...this card is both rustic and feminine. I love all of the little details, that lace and the big pretty flower. You are such a nice daughter to make a casserole for your mom...I hope Carly does that for me one day!

Debbie said...

Absolutely beautiful! That big flower is gorgeous!

Lisa Minckler said...

I knew I liked you...let the crockpot cook while you craft!! Brilliant! Thinking I'll enjoy crafting while the chicken and dumplins brew up too. :)
So funny you mentioned the heat because I litterally just broke down and turned the heat on 5 minutes ago. When the toes are icicles, it might be time...
Your card is country western classy Jeanne. You couldn't have designed it more beautifully and that hatpin is a perfect depiction of the elegant photo too.
Hugs and have a wonderful weekend!
Lisa xx

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh this is so so beautiful. All of those gorgeous flowers, the pearls and that fabulous stick pin! It is the perfect card for "Rustic Elegance" and I am so impressed with your attention to detail with the inspiration photo.

Maria said...

Absolutely gorgeous card with all those flowers! A perfect take on the challenge...love it!!!

Holly Saveur said...

SOOOO GORGEOUS ..LOVE the colors!

Sharron said...

Such an amazing and perfect example of rustic elegance! The woodgrain paper makes a wonderful base and you've added so many wonderful details. The large flower is gorgeous and I love the silver hatpin!

Helen Berry said...

Oooo, the woodgrain paper is just lovely Jeanne and so are all those pretty flowers!! My goodness, another stunner!! I just think I've absorbed all the loveliness and I spy another beautiful detail - that wonderful silver hatpin!! Totally utterly gorgeous!!!

Rebecca Deeprose said...

Love the contrast of woodgrain against the white swirls and softness of the flower~ beautiful! So glad you could join us at The Shabby Tea Room!

Debbie said...

Gor-jus!! Love those pretty Prima flowers and rustic patterned paper! And .. the Paper Sweetie sentiment is just perfect! Thanks for sharing with us in the Tea Room, Jeanne :)