Friday, November 9, 2012

Retro Sketches - Jolly Santa

I found a new place to play today!  I was checking out Suzanne Dahlberg's blog The Card Yard,  and saw that she drew up the sketch as well as made a beautiful card for Retro Sketches so of course I had to check it out!

Look at this amazing sketch - it has me thinking about starting a binder of sketches to jump start me when I'm stumped.  I love all the layers on that fancy top and I know I will be playing with this one again soon!  You don't have to use any specific brand of stamp or style - just follow the sketch and make it your own.  I bought some Tim Holtz stamps recently and couldn't wait to get them inked up and put to work!  I stamped the Santa image in black on music print paper and mostly followed the sketch drawing.  Santa looks so old fashioned and jolly - he just makes me smile.  I think it is because he reminds me of how Santa looked when I was young. 
I fussy cut the sentiment and added some striped ribbon, jingle bells and a mulberry poinsettia.  I like the contrast of the red and blue together and something about that seems vintage too.  Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you have a great day!

Jeanne

Supplies Used:  Finished Size:  5" x 7"
Stamps:  Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Joyful Song CMS119, Christmas Memories CMS118
Paper:  October Afternoon Holiday Style 8" x 8" Pad, Papertrey Ink Vintage Cream, Pure Poppy
Dies:  Lifestyle Crafts Quickutz Nesting Frame 9
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black
Extras:  1/4" Satin Turquoise Ribbon, 1" Red Velvet Ribbon, 2" Red & White Striped Grosgrain Ribbon,  1/2" White Crochet Trim, Gold Lame Thread, Jingle Bells, Mulberry Poinsettia

11 comments:

Caroline said...

Stunning card love the image and the layout and sentiment is gorgeous. Caroline xxx

Lisa Minckler said...

Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!! LOVE this Jeanne. :)

Kim Heggins said...

Wow...this is so beautiful. That Santa is just amazing and you are just so clever stamping him on the red sheet music, just so fun.

Joyce said...

This is so beautiful. Just so many incredible layers. I like how you stamped on the music paper. Very festive.

Cathy Weber said...

I would have thought that Santa image on music print was a piece of patterned paper you bought! I can picture tearing it out of a paper pad right now. Great idea...looks great and very vintage. My kind of Santa too! I love the different colors you used for your bow...blue is so pretty and a very nice contrast to the red/black.

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh my goodness Jeanne, I totally agree with Cathy. It looks like patterned paper, genius! Gorgeous card.

Karin Åkesdotter said...

What a beautiful Christmas card! LOVE your design!
Have a wonderful week-end, hugs, Karin

Pauline said...

I love the fab vintage style Santa on this jolly and festive carD, I love the hanging jingle bells!

Sharron said...

Oh, your retro Santa is so adorable and I love that you stamped him on the patterned paper! This is such a sweet Christmas card. The bells and blue ribbon are wonderful touches!

Jinny Newlin said...

Love, love, LOVE that jolly Santa image, and your color palette is divine! And that's to say nothing for your scrumptious trimmings! Such a beautiful creation!

Marybeth said...

Love that old Santa on the music paper… brings back memories. As always beautiful bow!