Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Susan's Graduation Cap

Told you I decorated TWO grad caps , and was waiting to share pics until I had a photo of the graduate with her cap!  Meet Susan!  She's my son's girlfriend and she graduated Friday with a BS in Communication!  She's not ending her studies here.  Susan is off to Michigan to pursue her Masters, but not until a nice long break this summer! 

Susan will tell you that two things got her through College - her Moms and COFFEE!  I know her own mental fortitude had a lot to do with it, but she's the boss.. so Moms and Coffee it is!  Here's some close ups so you can see all the details!
I love the chalk board look of the white script letters on the black fabric cap.  I am glad I held on to some of my favorite dies when I gave the craft room a clean sweep!  I tried lots of fonts before we settled on this one.   It was hard to find the perfect size letters with the right feel.  This font is from a set of Quickutz called Funky Chicken that is no longer available.    I was teasing Susan about the name - she's a vegetarian - using Funky Chicken lettering!  LOL  Ok. .so maybe you had to be here! LOL!
I added a few coffee cups complete with some coffee beans from Sugar Pea Designs.
Lots of vines and flowers with pearl centers - this seemed perfect with Mother's day on the same weekend!  The flowers and vine dies are both from Spellbinders.
This coffee mug is from the MFT Hot Cocoa Cups set.   I fussy cut the "coffee" on the  inside and added a swirl of gems for steam.
I'm not a coffee drinker  - sorry!  Iced tea for me please!  LOL.. I was too embarassed to go inside the Starbucks looking for a logo - so I sent DH who came back with a paper cup.  He said the manager was more than happy  to helpwhen they heard it was to decorate a cap for graduation!
Here's the finished cap!   Susan was really happy with it and got lots of compliements.  I enjoyed seeing the other caps at graduation - most had names or initials - this one was very "custom".  I felt blessed to part of Susan's special day.  We really enjoyed her party too - it was held at Jake Melnick's a stones throw from Water Tower!  When we left we went walking the magnificent mile (Michigan Avenue) and popped in a few stores that were open late!  










Supplies:
Dies | Sugar Pea Designs Coffee to Go, Coffee Words | Quickuts Funky Chicken Grand Font | MFT Hot Cocoa Cups | Spellbinders Rose Creations, Romantic Vines, Inverted Scallop Circles
Pearls | Gems 

9 comments:

~amy~ said...

What a fabulous job Jeanne!

cm said...

What a 'latte' time, detail and creativity you invested in designing this stellar coffee-themed grad cap for Susan! Outstanding! The flowers, coffee cups, the Starbucks logo (yay to your husband for undertaking the reconnaissance mission), the thanks to her 'supporters'...ingenious, innovative, imaginative and impressive! The smile on Susan's face says it all: one proud young woman, who appears destined for great things! How blessed she is to have you in her life, and you in hers. She sounds like quite the go-getter (much like someone else I know *grin*). A post filled with joy, pride, gratitude...love it!
Hugs~c

richardbreaks said...

Jeanne, this is great! I especially love the vellum "dome" over the whipped cream on the one drink. I also love the bling steam! Just wonderful.

pam said...

Fantastic hat design Jeanne, how proud you must be to decorate two this year..personalised for each individual..love this one coffee theme.
Pam x

Lisa Elton said...

Oh how fun and you did an amazing job Jeanne!!

Sharron said...

Another amazing design! You did an fantastic job personalizing this wonderful cap!

Joyce said...

What an amazing graduation cap. Love how creative your decoration is.

Donna said...

I can see you being in demand to help decorate more caps in future, Jeanne.
You did a fantastic job :)

Jinny Newlin said...

Eeek! This is too fun! Such a unique idea! Bet she won't be throwing this one in the air ;). Great job, Jeanne! You'd better be careful, or you'll have a full-time job before you know it.