Thursday, May 5, 2016

Cinco de Mayo!

Hola! Jeanne here today! It's Cinco de Mayo - today commemorates Mexico's victory against the French during the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Today is a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. And while I'm not Mexican I thought making a special card for today would be a good way to honor my Mexican friends. So many of us will be getting together to enjoy good friends, good food, and great conversation - the spice of life! This cute little senorita "Maria" is perfect for documenting a trip to Mexico I think she's perfect for my Cinco de Mayo celebration! The little board in her basket can be personalized with a little message - I added a bitty wood veneer heart. 
I love the bright colored flowers inside Maria's sombrero, her pretty blue dangle earrings, and the stripes on her blanket. I chose papers from the Let's Go Travel Collection that seemed perfectly coordinated - dots in indigo, stripes of turquoise peach and yellow, and pretty flowers! 

I love lots of layers on my card designs - the Silly Betty Bookmark Tag with orange stripes on graph paper design made the perfect background for Maria. I turned the card side ways to create more interest and draw your eye across the card from top to bottom.
Note flags are a great way to add a simple sentiment to a card. This one in navy is from the Let's Go Nebraska set. They're die cut so all you need to do is stamp or hand write a sentiment. There are 30 flags in a pack in lots of colors so you're sure to find the right one!
I adhered Maria with adhesive foam tape to add some dimension to my project. The twine wraps completely around the cover of the card. I left an empty strip in the middle of the Maria die cut so everything lies flat.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day! 



Finished Size 4.25 x 5.5”
Pretty Little Studio Products:
Die Cut | Maria http://www.plspapershop.com/product-p/vd-40np32.htm
Paper | Let’s Go Travel
Book Mark Card | Silly Betty
Note Flags | Let’s Go | Nebraska
Twinery Mandarin Twine
Stamp | Avery Elle | Papel Picado Banners
Wood Veneer Heart

5 comments:

BenteS said...

Beautiful card with wonderful colors!

Tracey McNeely said...

Jeanne, so sweet. We do not know much about Cinco de Mayo here in Canada but thank you for the history lesson!

Lisa Elton said...

Well this is just about as cute as it gets!! Festive, colorful and very sweet!

cm said...

How beautiful, festive and joyous your Senorita Maria is, Jeanne! Gorgeous!
Hugs~c

Sharron said...

She's so adorable, and all dressed up for a celebration! Love your wonderfully festive card!