Thursday, January 21, 2016

Fusion Card Challenge - Woodgrain Neutral



It's so bitter cold here in the Chicago area.  That kind of cold that BURNS!  The sort that freezes your car windows shut so you have to open your entire car door at the drive through... BRRRR... makes me shiver just thinking about it.   When the kids were little I used to take them outside and blow soap bubbles so they could see them smash when they hit the ground.  Yes.. it really is that cold here.

This is the time of year that I love to craft.  There is nothing outside tempting me to stay outside any longer than I have to.   Moriko in her fabulous fur coat is loving it.  I want to post a photo but the lens keeps fogging up.


So while I am warm indoors I am doing a little crafting.  It relaxes my mind and that is good for my soul.   A new challenge begins today at Fusion Card Challenge.   This one is called "Woodgrain Neutral"  I find darks a little difficult to work with.. I was a butterfly in another life - drawn to bright colors.   But it's FUSION, so you don't have to work with the colors or even the photo if you don't want to.  You can work with the sketch and make it work with whatever you like.  I'm always trying to be clever and FUSE the two of them together. 
I started out making dimensional flowers with distressed ink edges like the photo, but then I asked myself why I was making something that I would never stick in the mail.  I decided to be a little more practical and keep it flatter and I'm really happy with the results. 

I cut flowers from two different black and white patterned papers and stacked the smaller flowers on top of the larger ones.   When I was done arranging them I didn't think I had enough definition to the circular shape of the wreath I was trying to create so I filled it in with some black enamel dots. 

 I couldn't resist adding a very slight touch of color on my design.  A very faint blush that I personally would still consider a neutral.  It compliments the hard black and white flowers - defining them and adding a softness at the same time. 
I can't wait to see what you make for this challenge.  It was fun to try something new and explore different colors that I wouldn't gravitate to normally.  You can see more projects from the team and link up your projects here at Fusion Card Challenge!










Finished Size 4.25 x 5.5"
Stamp:   Papertrey Ink Botanical Silhouettes
Dies:  Papertrey Ink Ruby Rose Die,  Paper Smooches Flag Tags
Pattern Paper;  Basic Grey Highline
Black Enamel Dots

12 comments:

ionabunny said...

Very striking Jeanne. Hugz

Julia Aston said...

Love the graphic patterns on your blooms Jeanne! We're in a cold snap too - with snow threatening this weekend - but I think it's going to stay south of us (hopefully!) Julia xx

sandie said...

I am always thinking of the sending in the mail dilemma! I think they look great as they are and love the touch of pink, perfectly placed enamel dots x

Tracey McNeely said...

Jeanne I understand your cold, it is cold here but usually when it is like you explained it doesn't last more than few days. Mind you it is 'snow' cold that every bit of snow than has fallend since Christmas is still here and on the trees. I feel like I live in a snow globe and like crafting inside just fine. The inspiration is gorgeous and really different and your card and those flowers are divine!

Marybeth said...

The black and white flowers are perfect on er the pretty stripes! Crafting sure is good for the soul!

Gloria said...

Just beautiful!
Love your card!

pam said...

Hi Jeanne, really bitterly cold here in UK.. that hard a frost last night it looked like snow.
Beautiful elegant card, love the colours and layout..Perfect!.
Hugs Pam x

Karren said...

Wow, Jeanne, I can't comprehend that sort of cold. We have such mild weather in comparison here in NZ. In the meantime, your card has some lovely warm tones and I love the fonts on the sentiment.

Maria said...

Those flowers are very eye catching, Jeanne! Wonderful design and great color for your amazing card...love it! Yes, cold here in NW Ohio, but am very glad we are missing all the snow that's going east of us!

Sharron said...

Love your striking design! The black & white with just the touch of soft colors is so very pretty. We are finally below freezing here but nothing like you must have--still no snow!

Diana K said...

Love all that black and white with the soft pinks. Your style is so eyecatching. You do beautiful work.

cm said...

Black/white flowers, paired with the soft pink = stunning! A most ingenious take on 'neutrals.' Your weather sounds downright painful; hope the temperatures have started to climb. Blowing bubbles in the cold to see them shatter...what a fun mom you are! I need to tell my brother about this, for when the next cold snap happens...Visiting you is utterly fantastic: I come away delighted by your creativity and learning something new! Excellent!
hugs~c