Thursday, May 24, 2012

Waltzingmouse Blog Party - Cozy Fabrics - Pinwheels

Welcome to the Waltzingmouse Blog Party!  This month we were challenged to work with felt or any other cozy fabric.  I admit I had to put my thinking cap on for this one.  I wanted to do something "fun" with a little nod to the old blog waltz days where we'd have a party and everyone had to bring something.  I already had felt on hand but was uninspired.  What a great excuse to go to the craft store and shop!  As soon as I saw this hounds tooth felt I knew I had to have it!  So as a little shout out to Anya I made these fun pinwheel decorations!  

These were really inexpensive party decorations - just a few sheets of felt, twine, and wood skewers and you're good to go!   I had to do a little experimenting to figure out how to get the two layers of fabric to lie together flat.  My words of wisdom... "DO NOT TRY TO GLUE THEM TOGETHER".  Unless of course you want to go to the craft store again to buy a few more things!!  You all know that the sewing machine and I are not on speaking terms, but I can work an iron - thank you iron on adhesive!  I just ironed the adhesive on one sheet, peeled off the paper and iron on the top sheet of felt.  Then I trimmed off the edge to get it nice and straight and cut 6" squares.  To keep with the Party theme I cut and pasted the sweet Waltzingmouse from the WMSC blog page.


I wrapped twine around regular wooden skewers that you would use for cooking and hot glued them onto the back of the pinwheels.  I cut the sentiments into pennant shapes and hot glued these along with the pinwheel centers for added stability.  Here's one last photo of all three together.  I stuck them in a jar full of colorful marbles to hold them in place for the picture. 


I hope you like them - they are really colorful and promise a fun time for all!  Thanks for stopping by!  I can't wait to see all the other cozy creations you've made!

Jeanne

Supplies Used: 
Stamps:  Waltzingmouse Large Doily, Fancy Phrases
Felt:  Hobby Lobby
Twinery Charcoal & Lilac, My Minds Eye Lime Twist Life of the Party "Happy Day"
Dies:  Spellbinders Nested Lacy Pennants, Nested Pennants, Standard Circles, Big Scalloped Circles
Ink:  Momento Onyx Black, grape Jelly and Rosebud.  Stampin Up! Tempting Turquoise

35 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Genius!!! Love the brilliant colours and the houndstooth backing. And the cute little Waltzing Mouse is adorable. Great work.

Joyce said...

These are so amazing--and you can come over and decorate my house for a party any time. They are so festive and fun.

Helen Berry said...

Oh my WOOOORRRRDDD!!!! These look absolutely AMAZING Jeanne!! Love them. The beautiful bright felt with the houndstooth and not forgetting the cute little mouse. Totally, utterly FABBY x x x

Kary said...

Hi Jeanne! These pinwheels are Terrific!! What a brilliant idea! I love the colours...everything! {hugs}

Lynn Mercurio said...

Whoohooo Jeanne...these are so much fun. Love the houndstooth felt...and thanks for the tip about ironing the adhesive to the felt...brilliant. I agree...gluing felt to felt is a messy endeavor and a sticky situation! These turned out wonderfully!!!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

I love these, Jeanne!! The houndstooth is so cute and I love the tip about ironing! Great project!!

Marybeth said...

No Way! Love these! You really came up with a great project for the hop. The twine around the stick is such a smart idea as well. Love your bright happy project!

Sharron said...

WOW, these are amazing!! The houndstooth looks so COOL! And I wondered about the mouse--hoped there was a stamp I had missed! You really came up with a stunning project for the party!!

Cathy Weber said...

You are a genius!!! I will say it again, You are a genius!!! Those pinwheels made from felt are so beautiful, cheery and unbelievably creative. I would never have thought of them, laughed a lot when I pictured you trying to glue them...I would have tried that first too! Anya will love the houndstooth. Great job of these Jeanne, super creative idea.

Karin Åkesdotter said...

I knew I'd get something amazing here but this - wow - they are fabulous!!! TFS a wonderful idea!

Hugs, Karin

Bumblebee said...

Hurray for such an inspired project! I just love these pinwheels, so fun and just perfect for this challenge!

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my goodness, these are just too adorable! What a great take on the challenge too, really thinking outside the box.

Renee said...

FABULOUS!!
Love the colors...
and more houndstooth felt...
where do I find this?
Oh...I'd probably forget I have it and would discover it years from now wondering what it is?
But's fabulous!! :)
And these pinwheels...
you just amaze me with your creativity...
love, love, love that little dancing mouse...
he's so perfect in that circle!!
This are just amazing Jeanne! :)

Anne-Elise said...

Oh, Jeanne! Your pinwheels are so beautiful! The doily and the mouse are just so cute! Love them!

The Paper Parade said...

Oh my gosh, Jeanne, these are totally awesome!! I love the colors you chose and the houndstooth fabric! That little mouse in the middle is adorable too :)

Julia Aston said...

OH Jeanne! how coolie cool!! LOVE these bright colors and you used the mouse!!! I've been meaning to do that - too, too cute!! Great felt project!!!

Jan Garber said...

I love this and had the same question others had! Where did you find that felt? I "collect" many things I haven't used so see no reason not to add this beauty to the list!

Cassie_lu said...

What sweet pinwheels. Very inventive with the felt.

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh how fun Jeanne! Love your colorful felt pinwheels!

Kelly S. said...

Well if THESE aren't the most adorable things?! And you used Mr. Mouse solo, LOVE THAT! The houndstooth and bright felt centers are so eye-catching! Love the addition of the cheerful sentiments on the mini flags. SO CUTE, Jeanne! Your creativity is just endless, WOW!

Linda (swtanxiety94@yahoo.com) said...

great prsentation..good color use. reminds of the pinwheels fo yester year, though prettier.
Thank You for sharing

Lisa Minckler said...

Ohhh, how fantastic are these! I'll happily take the purple one off your hands. :)

Super Jen said...

These are my #1 favorite so far. I love your color combos, the houndstooth (of course) and the way you used Claire's darling mouse logo.

Karen M said...

Wow, Jeanne! These are ab fab! I'm sure it took quite a lot of time and patience to put these together, but obviously, well worth the effort! Kx

NanaConnie said...

These are incredible, Jeanne! I have a 4th of July party planned and I'm going to try to get some of these made in red, white, and blue. You know, you really should enter these in the 3-D challenge over at Tuesday Throwdown this week. :-D

Charmaine Stack said...

These are so fun and the iron-on adhesive was inspired! Well done! Love seeing that happy little mouse used, too!

Claire said...

It sounds like your sewing is as good as mine! What a fabulous idea - love that felt!

Davi said...

Jeanne these pinwheels are so much fun! I love the hounds tooth check. Great 3D project! so glad you shared with us at TT this week :)

Cassi said...

fantastic project!

Lori said...

What a fabulous project! Love the look of the houndstooth pattern against a contrasting solid.

Nancy M said...

OMGosh! I found you from the OWH hop but then this one and the folded flower---on my!! I just signed up to follow you!! I really like your work!!
RBBRRMQN at YAHOO dot COM

Jill Norwood said...

Love, Love, Love these! Just stunningly gorgeous!!!!!!

JJ Bolton said...

I have NO words for how AWESOME these pinwheels are!!! Seriously, felt on pinwheels? So, so, so creative! And I just adore the bright colors with the black and white houndstooth! Amazing!

Unknown said...

I'll take an iron over a sewing machine any day! LOL!!! Nothing says a party like pinwheels and I love the hounds tooth felt, truly inspiring & very chic.

baju batik said...

Love this
I enjoy it so much
Have a nice day =)