Friday, May 25, 2012

Square Folded Flower Tutorial

A few weeks ago I did a folded flower tutorial of a circular flower.  One of the comments I got mentioned this same type of flower but as a square shape.  This got me thinking about what it would look like.  So I made a few dozen and wanted to share this tutorial with you.

Here's what you'll need:
Two Sided Paper
Square Punch - Any Size - this will be the size of your finished flower.
Glue
Brad or Button
1.) Cut 5 squares from two sided paper.
2.) Fold 4 squares in half. The patten on the inside will be the pattern that is revealed when your flower is complete.  I drew where the folds should be on the sample square next to the folded sample.

 3.) Fold in half the again the opposite direction.
 4.) Fold a third time from corner to corner to form a triangle.
 5.) Fold in the two opposite sides of the square to form a small folded square.  It should look like this.
 6.)  Fold back the top corner of the quare to reveal the paper patern on the inside.  Do not fold all the way back  Leave a slight edge of the outer paper showing  If you fold all the way back the flowers will be hard to open after you've attached the brad.
 6.) Glue the four squares on to the last square.  Make sure the folded down corners all point to the center.  It should look like this.
 7.)  Pierce a hole through the center and add a fancy brad or button.
You can use these for scrap booking, card making, or even simple magnets for your fridge. The hardest part is deciding which side of your pretty paper you want to show! And now - do I want to make circles or squares? Have fun!
Jeanne

Supplies Used for instructional sample   (all others scraps)
Brad:  K&Company
Paper:  My Mind's Eye Lost and Found Two Collection.  Blush "Sweet" Bouquet Paper

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rizwana

Thank you so mush for this tutorial a great way to use up all those papers you're not fond of any more. I have been wanting to do this type of folded flower for some time. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your skills.
Hugs Rizwana xx

Marybeth said...

Wow , so nice of you to come up with the square one for all of us to see. Love this, I am going to make some time to make some this weekend. Love the papers you used on the example print and checked , just the best! TFS

Anne-Elise said...

These flowers are so cute, Jeanne! Thank you for this great tutorial!

Deborah Frings said...

Oh, I like these - very pretty!

rudlis said...

Beautiful - I like origami :)

Claire said...

Oooh - these are gorgeous Jeanne - can't wait to try. Thanks so much for sharing!

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh how fun Jeanne! Great choice of patterned papers! Thanks for the tutorial!

Helen Berry said...

Just absolutely LOVE this Jeanne, so very pretty & stunning to look at!! Thanks for sharing it with us at TT this week to ;))

airbornewife said...

What a super neat idea.. these look great on cards. thanks for sharing ~ Pam

Nancy M said...

Thanks so much!! Now I wonder where to find the round ones; thanks!!
RBBRRMQN at YAHOO dot COM

JJ Bolton said...

Thanks for doing this tutorial Jeanne! I'm totally going to do this when I get some better brads:)

Clare said...

I love this super tutorial, dying to try these out! thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Excellent tutorial and now that I'm back from vacation it's flower time! I'm so excited to make these and the circular flowers you previously shared. TFS!

Lisa Minckler said...

Sweeeeeeet!!!!! Now I have two of the best tutorials to follow. Thank you!!! :)

Lisa Minckler said...

Just popped back in for this tutorial. Made a couple cuties and I'll link back to you when I post it!
THANK YOU :) These were so much fun.