Monday, March 19, 2012

Shabby Tea Room #106 Pennant Party - Guest Designer

I am so excited to join the Shabby Girls and be the guest designer this week at the Shabby Tea Room!  I always love the inspiration photos Debbie provides and this week is no exception!  The challenge this week is to create a project that includes a banner or a pennant.

It's not hard to see where I got my inspiration for this card - all those great colors, textures and embellishments were all within my reach. The buttons, thread, embroidery and crochet all got me thinking sewing box. When I saw that cute little bird by the fabric envelope I knew I had to do a bird house. I used all the same great elements of the envelope - the gingham, red stitching, and the fancy button on the birdhouse.

I spent a long time on this one trying to get it just right. There are so many details on this layout , from the embossed mint green background, the stitched birdhouse, to the little string bows holding up the banner. The sweetest embellishment are the little crochet flowers my mom made for me.

I made my own faux "crochet" doily heart by taking a die cut, running it through an embossing folder and distressing it. I colored a regular pearl with a copic to get the right shade of blue for my flower center. I scattered some flowers and buttons and even added a few little branches to pick up that little trace of brown in the background.

Here's a close up so you can see the pearls, the hand stitching and the pretty crochet flowers.  The red flowers are cut from inexpensive felt using the Sizzix Hydrangea die and topped with a pearl.




I used a lot of scraps for my banner and my bird so I can't tell you whose paper it is. It was really fun picking out bits and pieces of remnants trying to get just the right look. I'm really happy with and wouldn't change a thing - that's how I know I'm done!! I hope you are having a great day and I can't wait to see your project linked up to The Shabby Tea Room Blog!  

Jeanne
Supplies Used: Card size is 6" x 6"
Dies: Spellbinders Cuckoo Clock, Classic Scalloped Heart, Standard Circles, Foliage, Nested Pennants
Heart Die Cut: Cricut Martha Stewart Elegant Cake Art Branches: Quickutz Felt Flowers: Sizzix Paper Sculpting Hydrangea
Embossing Folder: Cuttlebug:Kassie's Brocade
Stamp: Cuckoo for You! A Muse Art Stamps
Ink/Markers: Copic B05 (to color pearl), Momento Tuxedo Black, Ranger/Tim Holtz Distress Antique Linen
Background Embossing: Sizzix Diamond Texturz Plate
Brad: K & Co.
Paper: Coordinations

9 comments:

Pauline said...

This is beautiful Jeanne, a perfect interpretation of this inspiration picture! A really homely feel with the red gingham, crochet flowers, sweet bird house and fabric button. A gorgeous creation! Congrats on your guest spot too, so well deserved!

Starr said...

What a gorgeous card! Your banner is adorable as is the birdhouse and little bird! Your work is always beautiful!

Hugs,
Starr

Robin Cooper said...

Wow!! Love your card!! I would have had fun with that too!!!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

oh my - I've never seen such a perfect take on an inspiration photo before - your card is absolutely WONDERFUL - love it!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

ps- thanks so much for the radio suggestions - I'll look them up right away!

Maria said...

So so cute and beautiful!!! It's a perfect take on the challenge! Love the bird house and bird! Sweet banner, too!!:-))

Marybeth said...

Congrats, on being a guest designer! You are the master at looking at the inspiration photo and then nailing it with the card you make! Wonderful job on this one too! Its beautiful,the crochet flowers the pearls all of it.

Mona Pendleton said...

Darling project Jeanne! Love the little crocheted flowers and the sweet banner!

Unknown said...

What a happy card with so many goodies. I'm like a kid in a candy shop right now. I love the details and that you shared the creative process with us.
Congrats on being the Guest Designer!