Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge #59 Week of 8-6-11 - Dress Pattern

WMS59WaltzingmouseStampsThis is the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge 59 for the week of August 6, 2011.  My first glimpse of the sketch and I thought this would make a neat sleeve for a big tag or a card.  I made this card with a sewing / pattern theme  for my mom.  My mom's favorite color is Turquoise so I used that as a highlight.  I wanted to give my card that vintage feel that reminds me of those Simplicity envelopes that the patterns come in.  I used to love looking at the glamourous ladies drawn on those envelopes!!
When I was little my mom used to sew all my clothes - and with the scraps she would make an outfit for my Barbie Doll that matched mine exactly - same pattern, same material, even tiny little snaps to make it easy for me to get her outfits changed.  I didn't appreciate it at the time - all my friends had the fancy ball gowns that were store bought.  Mine had bell bottom jumpsuits and even crochet sweaters! 
I used Pebbles chalks to color the outfits - this worked out great because it looks more like those old patterns and when I went outside the lines it came right up with a quick swipe of an eraser.  This is what the card looks like out of the sleeve. 

Supplies Used:
Stamps:  Waltzingmouse Sentiment Eat Cake, You're Lovely
Die Cut:  Spellbinders Grommet Tags
Patterned Paper:  Tim Holtz Idea-ology Kraft Resist
Ribbon:  Snug Hug Seam Binding Elegant Peacock Blue     Ruler Ribbon:  Ribbon Trends Hobby Lobby
Flower made from Tim Holtz Tissue Tape 
Ink:  Momento Rich Cocoa
Chalk:  Pebbles
Border Punch:  EK Success

7 comments:

Kelly S. said...

Oh this is so fun, Jeanne! I love the whole theme, and you executed perfectly! That flower with the little ruled twill tape is FABULOUS!

Wendy ten Hove said...

What a lovely fashionable card, Jeanne! I like all the images on the 'envelope' of the card and also the shapes of the dress on the card! I would like Fig.B please, hi hi! Great card!
Hugs, Wendy

Jen Cuthbertson said...

Jeanne, this is so pretty and such a fabby take on the sketch I love the pattern sleeve and that ribbon is the perfect touch! I love your story about your doll clothes, too! I loved making Barbie clothes with my grandma - one of my favorite memories!

Deborah Frings said...

Brilliant idea - just love the layout on the inside with the dresses - really does remind me of paper patterns. Fab!

anya said...

This is such a fantastic idea, Jeanne! I love how you created your own pattern page and included so many complimentary elements! The ruler ribbon is fabulous! I bet your Mom will love this!

PS - Have you checked the WMS Blog recently?? ;)

Edna Morrisedie said...

Totally shabby and fabby, great use of the stamps.... thanks so much for playing along with the Mischief Makers this week!

Odellicyv said...

Totally shabby and fabby, great use of the stamps.... thanks so much for playing along with the Mischief Makers this week!