Thursday, September 24, 2015

Seize The Birthday Toppings - Borders

I hope you are having a great day.   I left the computer off yesterday so I would have time to make make make!  LOL!    SO today I am playing along at Sieze the Birthday.  I know I can always use an extra Birthday card in my stash, and they keep it interesting with different "toppings" to challenge me every time.  The "toppings" this time are border punches or dies.  Fun right?  
I just got the new Borders #1 from Top Dog Dies and thought I'd try something different. I wanted to try to inlay this loopy border and let the pink matt background peek through the loopy holes.   I wanted to make them look like confetti streamers perfect for a birthday celebration.
I’ll admit it was a little tricky.  I cut strips of cardstock reserving both sides of the cut (positive and negative).  Next I pieced them together like a jig saw puzzle, carefully securing them on the back side in spots that would be undetected when I flipped the panel over.  I used washi tape so you could see how I attached both sides, but any tape will do.
Next I trimmed  both sides of the attached strips.   I used the die cut line (where the two colors meet) to keep the rows straight and to help me measure.  I cut a the ¾” line. 
Here’s what your strip will look like.  Do this three times with paper colors of your choice and then tape the three strips together to make a panel.   Trim the panel to size for your card base.  I matted the strips on hot pink so it would show through the die cut holes. I  love the rainbow of color!

I embellished my card with balloons and gold stars from the Rainbow die set.
This was a fun way to get more use out of my border dies.  I hope you’ll give it a try.
 I attached the balloons and word dies with adhesive foam tape to add a little dimension.
What a fun challenge and a great way to get ideas to stretch those dies and use them more often in different ways!









Finished Size 4.25 x 5.5”

Top Dog Dies:  Happy, Birthday, Borders One, Balloons, Rainbow

13 comments:

Joyce said...

Super fun birthday card, so bright and colorful. Love how you puzzled those border die cuts together.

Lisa Elton said...

What you'v done with the loopy border is fabulous!! This is super festive and fun Jeanne!!

Alanna said...

What a fun and cheery card.

Lisa Minckler said...

Did you go to wizardry college or magical school? Because what you do with paper is mystical and whimsical and just down right crazy cool! I'm so glad you gave that tutorial....it's becoming more tangible for me now. LOVE this card!!!

Jill Norwood said...

So clever and colorful!

Bajalizzy said...

wow that's great - the layout is super

Diane Jaquay said...

Oh WOW, an explosion of color on a card, LOVE this!!

Colleen said...

Oh, YES! You nailed the whole theme of using the die cuts in a new and unique way...totally awesome! thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

Anonymous said...

This is just gorgeous, Jeanne. Superb work. So fun and bright. I like it a lot!!

Anni said...

Wow, what a great way to use a border die!
Love the bright colors!
Thanks so much for joining the fun over at Seize the Birthday!
Anni

Marybeth said...

Get out of here!!!! This is one amazing die puzzle priced gorgeous card! You are brilliant!

cm said...

I agree with Lisa: your artistry and wizardry bring us the most magical designs. I'm loopy with delight over these borders! So fabulous - and a tutorial to boot! Thank you!
Hugs~c

OttawaMom said...

I love all the bright, happy colours and those intertwined borders are amazing! Thanks so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday!