Thursday, October 27, 2011

WMSC70 - October 22, 2011 - Halloween Party Invite

Hi Everybody!  Sorry I have been missing in action.  I got hit with a bad flu and have spent a lot of time in bed lately.  You can tell I'm sick when I don't want to draw or my hands don't have ink on them!  At least I got to catch up on all the TV I've been missing out on.  I don't know if I could take another episode of NCIS Bones or Criminal Minds.  Seems like all that was on TV was zombies - which was sort of how I'm feeling. 

 I did catch a few good things - Twilight, and the Corpse Bride. I didn't want to close out the week with out even one post so I made this one for my fave skech challenge - Waltzingmouse!   I am giving total credit to Tim Burton and my fevered delirium for this scrumptious spookly creation.  I kept thinking of a perfectly yummy Halloween cake and this is what I came up with.  I used the picket fence from the Hocus Pocus set for the piping on my cake and added little touches of pearl, gem, and glitter to bring out the magic.  I think the Halloween Invitation sentiment looks sort of like a moon with the the flourishes as clouds around it.   I hand trimmed the black background around the tags, and left the ink a little messier than usual to keep with the spooky theme.
This is a close up of the border I made for the bottom.  I simply scored lines spacing 1/4" and 1/2" apart to make this trim.  I have seen alot of fabric trim like this and thought it would be easy to reproduce the look.  It adds alot of dimension and the ribbon tie holds it as flat or as puffy as you like - so there is room to play here.   I made the bow with 8 "legs" to look sort of like a spider.   Creepy huh?
Stay healthy and keep smiling!  Have a fantastic Halloween weekend!

Recipe:  Finished Size is 6" x 6"
Stamps:  Waltzingmouse:  Hocus Pocus. Eat Cake, Midnithgt Feast, Gracie at Halloween
Die Cuts:  Spellbinders for Scrap Mart Oval Square Label, Ornate Artisan Tags & Accents
Ink:  Momento:  London Fog, Tuxedo Black, Lulu Lavender, Tim Holtz/Ranger Distress Antique Linen

13 comments:

Kelly S. said...

Holy Bat Cakes, Batgirl! This is awesome, Jeanne! I just love how you combined these sets, so amazingly creative! The embellishing is spot on, as always...love those flourishes, and the cool pleats!

Deborah Frings said...

Jeanne - sorry to hear you've been feeling so poorly. I can see that it didn't hurt your mojo mind!! I absolutely LOVE this card. Your cake decorations are inspired and I love the dimension in the purple ribbon. Just brilliant and I think I see a winner!!!

Pauline said...

This is so pretty Jeane, purple and black are such a sophisticated combination.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! Such a creative use of Hocus Pocus.

Pat

Renee said...

You should have the flu and spend time with Tim Burton more often...
this is spectacular!!
*giggle*
Love the paper...
the colors...
and that cake!!
So creative!
I am glad to hear that you're feeling better! :)

Lenet said...

Gorgous! love your batty cake and thebalck and purple combination.Thanks for joining us at WMSC

Kristi said...

Lovely, Jeanne! I like the pleated paper a lot. I may try it soon! Have a Happy Halloween!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

Love this!! Amazing use of Eat Cake and the Hocus Pocus sets! Well done, and glad you're feeling better!

Cathy Weber said...

Love that folding technique, it is very striking. Love how you combined Eat Cake and Hocuc Pocus, never would have thought of that one. That flourish also was a really nice touch to the card. Hope you're feeling better!

JJ Bolton said...

Your Halloween cake is fantastic! Using the Halloween stamps on the cake set is a truly inspired idea:). I'll have to try the pleated "ribbon" trick. Hope you're feeling 100% real soon! Take care Jeanne!

Maria said...

Oh my !!! Gorgeous...gorgeous in black and purple! Such a lovely cake, ribbon treatment, paper, and flourish, so pretty! Hope you are feeling much better, take care!!:-))

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fab Halloween card Jeanne! Love the pretty color combo and how you created a spooky cake! So creative! Thanks for joining along with the WMSC :)

Sharron said...

WOW--what a fabby creation! Combining the two sets was such a clever idea. I never would have thought of a spooky cake. Love how you used the flourish--and the ribbon treatment--SO COOL!